Sunday, November 7, 2010

Juelfs (Marcum) Family Sheath Cake

This was "the cake" in my family when I was growing-up.  The recipe I have has been passed down for several generations.  We call it sheath cake or sheet cake - I think they basically mean the same thing...

This was what I made my husband for his birthday cake this year.

2c flour
2c sugar
Mix together in a large bowl.

Melt 1/2c butter and 1/2c shortening (can substitue butter) in a medium saucepan over medium heat.  Add to this 1c cold water and 4T cocoa. Mix well. Stir constantly until boiling.

Pour boiling mixture over flour and sugar. Stir and add 1t vanilla, 1t cinnamon, 1t baking soda, 1/4t salt, 1/2c buttermilk (can use regular milk), and 2 eggs (add these last).

Bake in a well greased 11 x 15 pan at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes.


About 5 to 10 minutes before the cake is done begin working on the icing. I am listing the original icing recipe below.  My family has always doubled the icing - I highly recommend you doing so as well.

Melt 1/2c butter in same saucepan as before (Yay! Saving on dishes!).  Add 4T cocoa, and 5T milk.  While stirring constantly bring to a boil.

Remove from heat.  Add 1t vanilla.  Add 1c nuts (optional).  Add 5c powdered sugar. (If you are doubling the icing you should use about 1 1/2 bags of powdered sugar)

Pour on to cake and spread evenly.

Enjoy licking the icing spoon! I always do! :D

Let the icing set on the cake for about 30 minutes to an hour before cutting and serving.  

2 comments:

  1. Also please pardon the messy counter! I'm still in the process of getting things put away after the move!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So this is the famous chocolate cake? Good to know :)

    ReplyDelete