Sunday, November 7, 2010

A Candle-Light Dinner of Mac-and-Cheese

The story starts like this...

My husband and I spent this past week moving from a house we rented for the summer to an apartment.  Why move from a house to an apartment?  After talking to the previous renters we decided the heating bill was not worth staying in a larger place.

This past week was also my husband's birthday. Because of the move I did not have time to make dinner or a cake for him. :( At some point during this time we decided to celebrate Saturday evening.  Also a joke was made that he'd be happy with a box of mac-and-cheese for a candle-light dinner.

Guess what I made...

Well, it wasn't the boxed stuff. I do like boxed mac-and-cheese, but for this I decided to raid my fridge.
What I ended up with was basically an Alfredo pasta dish.  I used enough spaghetti noodles to probably serve 6 (I wanted leftovers).  The noodles were cooked with about 1/4 cup of olive oil.  After straining the noodles I added about 1 1/2 cups of Parmesan cheese and 1 1/2 cups of skim milk (Lactaid).  You could substitute 2 tablespoons of butter for the olive oil if you wanted - the butter would be added after straining the noodles.

Dinner turned out very well. My husband was kind of surprised that I went with the joke he had made.  :) We had to wait a couple of hours before we had room enough to eat birthday cake! Lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment